About the Book
The New Civil War Handbook: Facts and Photos for Readers of All Ages is a complete up-to-date guide for American Civil War enthusiasts of all ages.
Author Mark Hughes uses clear and concise writing and more than 140 Civil War era photographs and illustrations to trace the history of the war from the beginning of the conflict through Reconstruction. Topics covered include:
- Civil War Begins
- A Soldier’s Life
- Battles and Battlefields
- Technology and the War
- Weapons of War
- War on the Water
- Caring for the Sick, Wounded, and Dead
- Prisoners of War
- Civilians Caught Up in the War
- Women and the War
- African Americans and the War
- The Civil War and Native Americans
- The War Ends
Civil War buffs and the Civil War novice will find The New Civil War Handbook to be an invaluable quick reference guide. Hard to locate reference material in The New Civil War Handbook includes:
- Losses in Battles
- Alternate Names for Battles
- Major Causes of Death of Union Soldiers (no data exists for Confederates)
- Deaths in POW camps
- Glossary of Civil War Terms
- Names for the Conflict
- Numbers and Losses in the War
- Organization of the Armies
- Troops Furnished by the States (Union only)
- Civil War Points of Interest (a listing of Civil War locations to visit)
Material for the casual reader includes:
- Interesting facts about the Civil War
- Civil War Soldiers Better Known for Other Achievements
- Civil War Voices
- Civil War Bookshelf
- Why the Civil War, and Why Do We Study It?
- African Americans in the Civil War
- Native Americans in the Civil War
In addition to these important areas, Hughes includes a fascinating section about the Civil War online, including popular blog sites and other Internet resources.
Civil War buffs will find The New Civil War Handbook to be an invaluable quick reference guide, and one that makes an excellent gift for both the Civil War novice and the Civil War buff.
The New Civil War Handbook: Facts and Photos for Readers of All Ages is only $14.95.
Next page: Reviews